Starting January 23, VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) IRS-certified tax preparers will prepare and e-file your taxes for FREE!
Call 2-1-1 between 8 am and 5 pm, Mon-Fri, to schedule your appointment.
Daytime & evening appointments available Mon-Sat
Important tax tips from the IRS
Click here to learn more about the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision and other important tax tips from the IRS.
Free tax prep & E-File
Click here for more information about your chance to win $25,000!
Use United Way's Free Assisted Self-Service Tax Preparation (FAST) computer stations at any of our VITA sites, where qualifying taxpayers will have the opportunity to file their taxes for FREE.
Want to e-file your taxes from the comfort of your own home? File using United Way sponosored www.myfreetaxes.com/uwtaxhelp. Click here to download the flyer.
Click to prepare and file your taxes free at MyFreeTaxes. Click here to download the flyer for more information.
|My Free Taxes is spnosored by|
Did you know?
- VITA's IRS-certified tax preparers will prepare and e-file your income taxes for free if you: 1) Live in Elkhart, Kosciusko, Marshall, LaPorte or St. Joseph County 2) Have an adjusted gross income of $60,000 or less (per household) and 3) Your return does NOT include rental income, farm income, adoption credits or income from other states.
- If you worked in 2014, you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (up to $6,044 with three or more qualifying children) or Child Tax Credit (up to $6,000)—even if you don't owe income tax!
Benefits: This year the community can complete their taxes and e-file with a VITA tax preparer or on their own by using a VITA self-service kiosk available at one of the many locations throughout the region. Also, during tax assistance appointments taxpayers can enter for a chance to win a Pro$perity Package gift basket when they take United Way's Financial Fitness Test.
Other benefits of filing at a VITA site:
- Filing electronically guarantees a quick refund (typically 7-14 days).
- Maximizing credits and refunds helps put thousands of dollars back into our local economy.
- All VITA tax preparers are IRS-trained and certified.
- All VITA sites are a welcoming environment, handicap accessible and guarantee complete confidentiality.
VITA is a program of the Pro$perity Building Campaign Tax Team led by United Way of St. Joseph County. Through the Pro$perity Building Campaign, United Way is working to meet basic needs, build family support systems, increase income, build savings, and gain and sustain assets.
Interested in becoming a VITA Volunteer?
You Can Change the World One Person at a Time by Providing Low- to Moderate-Income Individuals and Families with FREE Tax Preparation and E-filing and Financial Education. Click below to find out more!
Pro$perity Building Campaign Sponsorship
The Pro$perity Building Campaign is sponsored by our great community partners 1st Source Bank and KeyBank. VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) is a program of the Pro$perity Building Campaign of United Way of St. Joseph County.