Starting January 21, VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) IRS-certified tax preparers will prepare and e-file your taxes for FREE!
Call 2-1-1 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, to schedule your appointment or click here.
Daytime & evening appointments available Monday-Saturday
What to bring to your tax appointment
Click here to download a list of items to bring to your tax appointment.
Important tax tips from the IRS
Click here to learn more about the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision and other important tax tips from the IRS.
Use United Way's Free Assisted Self-Service Tax Preparation (FAST) computer stations at any of our VITA sites, where qualifying taxpayers will have the opportunity to file their taxes for FREE.
Want to e-file your taxes from the comfort of your own home? File using United Way sponosored www.myfreetaxes.com. Click to prepare and file your taxes free at MyFreeTaxes.
|My Free Taxes is spnosored by|
Did you know?
- VITA's IRS-certified tax preparers will prepare and e-file your income taxes for free if you: 1) Live in Elkhart, Kosciusko, Marshall, LaPorte or St. Joseph County 2) Have an adjusted gross income of $62,000 or less (per household) and 3) Your return does NOT include rental income, farm income, adoption credits or income from other states.
- If you worked in 2015, you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (up to $6,044 with three or more qualifying children) or Child Tax Credit (up to $6,000)—even if you don't owe income tax!
Benefits: This year the community can complete their taxes and e-file with a VITA tax preparer or on their own by using a VITA self-service kiosk available at one of the many locations throughout the region. Also, during tax assistance appointments taxpayers can enter for a chance to win a Pro$perity Package gift basket when they take United Way's Financial Fitness Test.
Other benefits of filing at a VITA site:
- Filing electronically guarantees a quick refund (typically 7-14 days).
- Maximizing credits and refunds helps put thousands of dollars back into our local economy.
- All VITA tax preparers are IRS-trained and certified.
- All VITA sites are a welcoming environment, handicap accessible and guarantee complete confidentiality.
VITA is a program of the Pro$perity Building Campaign Tax Team led by United Way of St. Joseph County. Through the Pro$perity Building Campaign, United Way is working to meet basic needs, build family support systems, increase income, build savings, and gain and sustain assets.
Interested in becoming a VITA Volunteer?
You Can Change the World One Person at a Time by Providing Low- to Moderate-Income Individuals and Families with FREE Tax Preparation and E-filing and Financial Education. Click below to find out more!
Pro$perity Building Campaign Sponsorship